The Lobo First-Year Promise
The University of New Mexico is committed to ensuring that residents of the State entering college for the first time can afford to pursue a bachelor’s degree. As a world-class flagship university, the only Research 1 university in the state and leader in higher education, UNM is proud to continue to offer The Lobo First-Year Promise for new freshmen entering Fall 2021.
Qualified first-time freshmen who have graduated from a New Mexico high school and have an annual family income of $50,000—roughly the state’s median family income—or less will have base tuition and fees for full-time enrollment covered for the 2021-22 academic year.
The Lobo First-Year Promise is intended to reassure academically-talented students and their families in New Mexico that a university education is possible.
This is the first institutional-specific program of its kind in the state and we are proud to make the commitment to our residents with the greatest financial need. Our promise is to support first-time students’ college enrollment as we anticipate future expansion of The Opportunity Scholarship at The University of New Mexico.
How to Receive The Lobo First-Year Promise
A priority date of December 1 for completion of admission and financial aid applications ensures that qualified students will receive The Lobo First-Year Promise. Base tuition and fees will be covered by a combination of federal, state and/or institutional grant and scholarship sources.
Full eligibility details are below:
- Be a New Mexico resident and a graduate of a New Mexico high school within the past sixteen (16) months.
- Be admitted to UNM for Fall 2021 and attend as a first time full time freshman.
- Enroll full-time in and complete a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours in both fall and spring during the 2021-22 academic year and earn a 2.50 or greater GPA.
- Have a family income of $50,000 or less.
- 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the NM State Aid Application for New Mexico residents that are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents and all required official admissions documentation (application for admission, transcripts) by December 1.