The Lobo First-Year Promise
The University of New Mexico is committed to ensuring that residents of the State entering college for the first time can afford to pursue a bachelor’s degree. As a world-class university and leader in higher education, UNM is proud to announce The Lobo First-Year Promise for Fall 2020.
Qualified first-time freshmen who have graduated from a New Mexico high school and have an annual family income of $50,000—roughly the state’s median family income—or less will have base tuition and fees for full-time enrollment covered for the 2020-21 academic year.
The Lobo First-Year Promise is intended to reassure academically-talented students and their families in New Mexico that a university education is possible.
This is the first institutional-specific program of its kind in the state and we are proud to make the commitment to our residents with the greatest financial need. Our promise is to support first-time students’ college enrollment as we anticipate future expansion of The Opportunity Scholarship at The University of New Mexico.
How to Receive The Lobo First-Year Promise
A priority date of April 30 for completion of admission and financial aid applications ensures that qualified students will receive The Lobo First-Year Promise. Base tuition and fees will be covered by a combination of federal, state and/or institutional grant and scholarship sources.
Full eligibility details are below:
- Be a New Mexico resident and a graduate of a New Mexico high school within the past sixteen (16) months.
- Be admitted to UNM for Fall 2020 and attend as a first time full time freshman.
- Enroll full-time in and complete a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours in both fall and spring during the 2020-21 academic year and earn a 2.50 or greater GPA.
- Have a family income of $50,000 or less.
- Submit the 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and all required official admissions documentation (application for admission, transcripts, test scores) by April 30.